Art Gallery - August Exhibit
Local History Room Display
Looking Back at the Cherry Hill Police Department
The Cherry Hill Historical Commission salutes the Township Police Department which dates back to 1924 when the first patrolman was hired.
The Commission’s exhibit, on the lower level of the Library, includes handwritten police records dating back to 1929, a photo of Louis Duffy, the only Township policeman who died in the line of duty, and other police memorabilia from the 1920s through the 1980s.
Special thanks to Capt. Robert Schuenemann Sr. for his assistance with this special exhibit.
Pictured Right: The Police Department in 1934.
The Cherry Hill Historical Commission strives to document and preserve the history of our town. The Local History Room is open by appointment only in the summer. If you have any Cherry Hill/Delaware Township memorabilia you wish to loan or donate, please contact the Commission at 856-488-7886 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
by Seward Johnson
The sculpture on the Library’s front lawn draws a lot of attention and double-takes because of its life-like qualities. “Sunday Morning” was created by artist, J. Seward Johnson in 1985. There have been two castings. “Sunday Morning I” was sold in 1989 to owner in Miami Beach, Florida and “Sunday Morning II” is part of the Cherry Hill Public Library’s permanent art collection.
“Sunday Morning” is entirely bronze. The realism of the textures and details is the hallmark of Seward Johnson’s art, and this detailing is achieved with hours of intense labor. Delicate textures, such as the skin, can be made more real with fabrics pressed into the clay at this stage. Sometimes articles of clothing are stiffened with a resin and used in the mold process, but there is no clothing on top of, or under the bronze, in the sculpture. It takes up to one year to create one sculpture.
Just before the new Library opened (in December 2004) the sculpture was installed on the front lawn. It was initially on temporary loan to the Library. However, we felt that the sculpture represented what the Cherry Hill Public Library is all about - people gathering to read, learn and relax and we knew that would be a beautiful addition to the Library’s state-of-the art facility.
In April 2006, the Friends of the Library launched a “Save the Sculpture” campaign with 18 months to raise the $57,500 needed to purchase the piece. The Friends made an initial donation of $10,000 and hosted several other fundraisers, but most of the money was donated by library patrons. By the end of January 2007, the Friends had raised enough money to purchase the piece. A dedication ceremony was held on April 15, 2007.
by David Ascalon
“Totem,” is an eight-foot tall, fabricated bronze sculpture on display in front of the Library. Thanks to the generosity of the Friends of the Library, “Totem” was purchased in the fall of 2009 and is now part of the Library’s permanent art collection.
David Ascalon is a contemporary sculptor and stained glass artist, and co-founder of Ascalon Studios, located in West Berlin, N.J.
Story and Craft Room, Upper Level
by Karol Greene Baker
This brightly-colored, highly-detailed mural measures approximately 37-feet wide and 9-feet high and features classic Mother Goose characters, including favorites such as Humpty Dumpty, the Three Blind Mice and the Cow Who Jumped Over the Moon. This year-long project, completed in 2008, started as a sketch and resulted in a one-of-a-kind treasure for generations of children and Library visitors to enjoy.
Artist Karol Greene Baker is a Cherry Hill native who specializes in oil painted caricatures and murals. Her dreamy, stylized illustrations, painted in rich, lush colors, bear a devotion to her craft and display a mischievous sense of humor. Baker donated her time and talent to create this treasured mural.