The Cherry Hill Public Library offers Notary Public Services for the benefit of the residents of our community. The following guidelines will be followed in the provision of Notary Service:
Notary service is not available at the library for power of attorney, mortgage documents, deeds, wills, living wills, living trusts, codicils, depositions, divorce or certified copies. The Library provides only basic notary services.
- Notary services are a courtesy provided by the Cherry Hill Public Library and not the Notary’s primary duty; therefore, the Notary may ask the person(s) to wait while the Notary attends to a patron at the desk, takes a telephone call, or tends to other library matters.
- Library Notaries are scheduled during the Library’s hours of operation. Notary service is not available in the fifteen (15) minutes prior to the time of closing.
- It is recommended that those seeking Notary Service call the Library prior to their visit to ensure a Notary is available and able to notarize their document. The Library has limited liability and cannot notarize everything.
- Notary Service is provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The Notary will only attest to documents signed in his/her presence.
- Valid photo identification is required of any customer seeking Notary Service (i.e. valid photo drivers license, valid US passport).
- The Library will not provide witnesses and witnesses may not be solicited from customers using the Library. The witness must personally know the person whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of valid photo identification.
- Documents in any language other than English will not be notarized at this facility.
- New Jersey law requires that a Notary and the customer seeking notarization are able to communicate directly with each other. Library Notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a Notary Service customer.
- Public documents cannot be copied and notarized. Examples of these are: birth certificates, death certificates and marriage certificates.
- In accordance with New Jersey Notarial Law, Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Library Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Service.
- The library reserves the right to limit the number of signatures and seals/stamps required.
- There is a $3.00 fee for each seal affixed to a document ($0.50 is for administrative fees).
Adopted by the Library Board of Trustees: 4/24/01
Approved & Amended: July 2021